One of my favorite desserts or even breakfast treats is a slice of blueberry buckle. My mom always made it and now that that I’m older, I make it often!
Blueberry buckle is nothing more than a coffee cake with blueberries in it. The thing I like most about it is the fact that you can have it for breakfast… or dessert!
It is a fairly simple recipe to follow and involves all you baking basics such as flour, sugar, milk, eggs, etc.
Here’s the recipe I found online. It happens to be the same one my mom has written down. Try it for yourself and let me know what you think!
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease one 8×8 inch pan.
- Cream together 3/4 cup sugar, shortening, and egg.
- In a separate bowl mix together 2 cups flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir into sugar mixture, alternating with milk. Stir in blueberries. Pour into greased 8×8 inch pan.
- To make topping: Combine 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, cinnamon, and butter. Sprinkle over cake batter.
- Bake at 375 degree F (190 degrees C) for 25-30 minutes.